The finish line is in sight

The second draft of Climbing Yggdrasil is all but finished. What remains is to fix the ending, which all happens rather quickly in the first draft. I did not build the suspense and let the events of the finale ring out as much as I should have. Upon reviewing the final chapter, I have found that it needs to be broken up into at least three chapters.

yggdrasil ending

Each of the colors except blue is getting its own chapter. The blue sections represent a different point of view that occurs at the same time as the action in the pink, green and yellow chapters. Notice that the green section takes up half a page, despite being the most important event of the novel. I remember being ready to just get the damn first draft over with, and so I hastily wrote the end instead of giving it the time it deserved.

New lesson learned: laziness in the first draft makes more work for the second. There is no getting away from doing what is necessary.

I drafted a new version of the blurb and have asked a few friends to give me their opinions. When I have taken all of their advice and used it to create a “final” version of the blurb, I will likely post it here and ask for comments. Once the blurb and second draft are finished, I can send the blurb and spine dimensions to Ellie to get a useable version of my cover. Then it’s off to CreateSpace to print up proofs of the second draft! I could have copies of my book with the new cover in my hand by early August!

In the interest of brevity and being better able to tag my posts accurately, I have decided to try to focus on one subject at a time. This means more posts! This also means categories will now contain more accurate posts going forward, so that I (readers) can find exactly what I’m (they’re) looking for instead of a bunch of posts covering two or three topics at once. This move has been inspired by my previous post, which I reblogged from Winter Bayne (thanks again!).

Time to get organized

I’ve been very good about getting work done on Yggdrasil, but I have been neglecting Destiny for the past month. I think I finally got too discouraged with my snail-like writing; the journal is lovely, but I really fly when I’m behind the keyboard and I think that’s what I want to do now. There are plenty of things I can write out longhand to fill the journals I’m so intent on collecting.

I think I need more organization in my writing life. To that end, I have purchased yet another journal to write specific goals in, so that I can make these promises to myself and either congratulate myself when I succeed or kick myself in the pants when I fail.

writing goals journal

This coming weekend is a long one. With Canada Day on Tuesday, we’ve taken Monday off as well for a solid, relaxing four days off. We had a similar situation last weekend for la Saint-Jean. With this in mind, I’ve drawn up a long-ish list of goals to accomplish:

goals canada day weekend

One goal I thought about adding was “write author bio for back cover” of Yggdrasil; I keep going back and forth on whether I want one. I’ll definitely include a brief bio inside the book, but maybe a bio would go nicely on the back cover of my first book. What do you guys think?

The reason for all this dilemma about whether to include a bio is that I have the final version of my cover from Ellie at Creative Digital Studios. I haven’t finalized the details for the back cover, but here’s what I’ve got:

Climbing Yggdrasil cover

I love it, and Ellie Augsburger has been a joy to work with. I’d be too embarrassed count how many questions I sent her before deciding to work with her, but she replied promptly and professionally and helped set my mind at ease about the whole process. I’m thrilled with what she came up with and her responses to my requests for changes. I look forward to working with her on future projects.

And, of course, I most eagerly look forward to seeing her cover on a physical copy of my book. I’ve promised myself I would have the second draft ready before I send off for more proofs, though.